How to Start a Blog – For Complete Beginners!
I started blogging in April of 2016, and one year (and a couple of months later) I have made it my full time job. I work from home and basically have attached my laptop to my hip. Soon I will start publishing my blogging income statements so you too can see how easy it is to start a blog and make money from it! Here I will cover the basic steps on how to start a blog and some extra tips!
Start by finding a hosting service that is right for you
- Hosting is basically where your blog lives. Because I like to use WordPress, which is free to use, I need to host it myself. I like to use Hostgator because it is affordable, and if my blog grows beyond any size I can imagine, I know that Hostgator can handle the traffic!
Because of my long standing relationship with Hostgator, I’ve partnered with them to give you an awesome deal of $3.95 a month! That’s 43% off by signing up through my link.
I would start with the basic plan, this is what I signed up with and have stuck to this whole year.
Select your Domain Name
2. Your Domain is basically your identity, and as your site builds more authority with google, changing it later with prove to lose your ranking and potentially confuse your followers on social media. I chose my name because I wanted something fun sounding, and it is my favorite crayon color, thus “Glossy Grape” was born.
All my domains are through Godaddy, I keep my Shopify Businesses through them and this blog name as well.
3. (not the free .com, but the .org) into Hostgator! It makes more sense for more users to use the free version of WordPress because you can instal plugins to customize your sit4e, and make money from it without any restrictions. Here are the steps:
- Log on your hosting control panel with Hostgator
- Click on QuickInstall
- Click WordPress, then Continue
- Fill out WordPress configuration info
- Click Install Now button to complete the setup!
Select Your Theme
4. To Login to WordPress, you will head over to your login link which looks like this:
Once you’re logged in, your blog will look like this:
As you gain more experience with customization and finding your style, you’ll find that your blog is ever changing until you find a style that suits you. WordPress provides thousands of themes that you can use for free, or you can find a theme you love that will cost you some money. I have done both and I think there is nothing wrong with either.
Here is how to find themes on your wordpress:
1. On the Sidebar go to Appearance
2. Click on Themes
3. Click on Add New at the Top
Find your favorite theme and when you are ready you can scroll your mouse over it and click Install.
Create Your First Blog Post
5. To write your first blog post, on the sidebar go to Post > Add New. Once you’ve written your post you can save draft, preview, and publish. (Or just publish) I like to save my work first and always preview the post before publishing it in case I don’t like the look or style of something.
So my blog is done! What do I do next?
To monetize your website, sign up for a google Adsense account, this is your basic ad company and this is how you will start making money off your ads.
If you want to start searching for sponsored opportunities or brand collaborations, sign up for influencer websites.
Prepare your newsletter! I use mailchimp because it is super easy to use!
Start your Social Media Handles and reserve the name of your blog on them! To start, use Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram.
Did you decide to Start Your Blog Today? I hope you opted in for my preferred sites, and let me know what inspired you!
If you liked what you read today on my blog, don’t forget to share on social media. If you are interested in collaborating with me click here.